Thursday 10 July 2014

Communication Breakdowns

Last year, I worked a hotel as a bellgirl in Shinjuku (Tokyo). Many people come to our hotel from various country, so we often have to speak English. Majority was foreign guests than Japanese guests in the hotel that I worked. Sometimes, we couldn't communicate between guests and me, but I did gesture to tell information that guests were asking. Also, I asked to guests to write down some words to understand. However, difficult problem happen sometimes. Our work are so many, and one thing of all that telling how to get the way from somewhere to our hotel by phone is also our work. That was very difficult for me because I can't speak English well, and talking by phone is more difficult than direct talking. Sometimes, I couldn't understand or guests couldn't understand what are say. In this case, I have to change other people who can speak English well than me. Maybe guests were sad or angry because I couldn't understand and did that they asked. That was so sad for me, and it made me angry to myself. I want to speak English well, and I have to be able to speak English because it really need for my dream. I must study hard, so I'm going to try more!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I really agree your opinion because I worked in a hotel that many foreign customers come. I experienced similar case that you said too. I didn't understand what foreign customers said many times. Also, explaining in English is very difficult for me. We have to learn and practice English more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shiori.
    I agree your opinion It was a good experience. I also hope that we can try to work the hotel. Although I know this is a very difficult thing. Really we should strive to learn English.

    ReplyDelete